Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Our Trip to the Deer Lease in Pictures

Harriet (my mother-in-law), Evy and I crashed Reed and his dad, Jim's, yearly hunting trip. Though I teasingly don't call it "hunting." It is, of their own admission, really just "shooting" or as Reed says, "harvesting" of deer. Whatever it may be, it takes place on a beautiful and calm ranch outside of Junction, Texas and was made more enticing to us womenfolk this year with the completion of the brand new house and hunter's quarters which are under the same roof, just attached over on the left of this picture. We had full access to the house with it's big screen tv which we never turned on, and pool table which Reed and I happily split two games!Much of the time we spent thus occupied:


which allowed Harriet, the most voracious reader, to finish two and a half books while Reed completed book 4 in the Harry Potter series and me to finish Mansfield Park. But don't be fooled we also read and did many other things outside. Evyn, for instance, spent much of her time with this:
and this:
making a gingerbread house with Gram (lick a little, decorate a little, lick a little more, see if Mommy's looking, pop a candy in your mouth...)

and this:
What more does a 3 year old need: Lovie, her tiara and a bunk bed! (Note that Mommy has already set up her sleeping arrangement below...I know, I'm such a party pooper!)

This ranch was truly inspiring and restful. The North Llano River runs across one side and there are some wonderful workers employed there who help Mr. W. keep his sheep, cows, goats, horses, hay, and pecans very happy! In return, Mr. W. makes them a hearty breakfast when he is in as he did for all of us on the first morning. Beer batter pancakes and runny eggs - a delight!
An overabundance of hay! I was not tempted to go any closer since we were introduced to a large rattlesnake hide tacked to a board that was found right in these bales only days earlier!

The pecan tree lined walk to the goats. The pecan orchard is to our left.A boy and his dog. This is Nody (it stands for Not Our Dog Yet, though, as you can see, he has now been fully adopted, but the name has stuck!)
The sweet and gentle horses. We got to pet them, but not ride.

The sheep in the newly harvested hay field. The goats were more than happy to follow us in the car for that's how they get fed, but stopped immediately when we were actual people and would not let us get close.
The cows and the horses in an enviably shady spot.

"Oooo, it's cold, Mama!"
Oh, and there was some hunting. Reed got an 11 point deer (that's huge, by the way), the biggest they'd seen on this ranch and then got a 7 point that evening. After that, they were done! (Happy deer!)
On the way home, we stopped to see a cousin in Boerne, Tx. and I was able to talk the family into a picnic downtown so that I could take in a few of the very numerous shops there!
Then it was a race to beat the cold front we could see coming across the sky. I'm happy to report we are home and happy and dirty clothes are in the wash as we speak!
Happy Thanksgiving, my friends, and if you need any venison, now you know who to ask!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Cutshall...now THAT'S a post! I love the pictures. Did you take a photography class that I don't know about? It looks like a beautiful place and a perfect spot for some quality family time. Glad you had fun. That is definitely NOT what I imagined when you said you were going to the deer lease. All I pictured was one of those camo box stands with a small hole to look out of to shoot the poor innocent deer. Glad to see your sleeping arrangement was much more luxurious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cutshall...now THAT'S a post! I love the pictures. Did you take a photography class that I don't know about? It looks like a beautiful place and a perfect spot for some quality family time. Glad you had fun. That is definitely NOT what I imagined when you said you were going to the deer lease. All I pictured was one of those camo box stands with a small hole to look out of to shoot the poor innocent deer. Glad to see your sleeping arrangement was much more luxurious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks like so much fun. i love the picture of all 3 reading. was that staged? :) and of course any picture of Mary Evan is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like much needed r&r! It looks absolutely beautiful- apart from the snake bit! Can't wait to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Babb...Is that you?!!! I was wondering when you'd show your pretty face in the blogdom! No thoughts of starting your own, heh?! It would be so fun to have a Brit blog on my list! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.