Wednesday, April 25, 2007

"What do you want for breakfast?"


I ask Evyn this question every morning. I'm really asking myself because she would eat the same thing every morning and not care: yogurt and cheerios. She also likes oatmeal with fruit and on special days she really loves scrambled eggs and Daddy's pancakes. I, however, have found myself incredibly bored with breakfast lately. I think the problem lies in the fact that I love breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day and so I hate it when it falls short of all I know that it could be. Of course the best is when I can go to some wonderful place like Andre's or La Madeleine or Croissant Brioche and eat my little croissant, some fruit, eggs and sip orange juice. But alas, this is a rare exception to the usually tediuos task of getting something in my stomach when I wake up. And I'm bored with it. I just can't make myself eat another boring bowl of cereal, eat another piece of toast, or sad little frozen waffles. The other day I bought one of those cottage cheese and fruit combinations. I had never had cottage cheese by itself (it's always just been in my lasagna) so I thought I'd give it a try. It was pretty good, so maybe that's a new option, but I need more.


So, today's is an interactive blog entry. I need your help. What do you eat for breakfast? I don't want your egg casseroles, just something I can have on an ordinary morning that isn't one of the aforementioned affronts to my breakfast loving self. But I also want to avoid solving the boring breakfast problem with the high fat stuff that I do enjoy. This morning I did break down on this rule and had two toaster strudels. Can anyone resist that sweet, sugary fruit, soft yet crunchy pastry and, oh, to squeeze out your own sugary icing. MMMMMM. I also like those microwavable biscuit and sausage combos. Yum. But as I said, I would be the size of a blimp if I had these on a regular basis.


So, really, what do you eat for breakfast? I need some fresh ideas. Thanks for your input!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, You! You know I don't eat breakfast, but when the YoungLife girls come over every Friday a.m., we have to get creative. My personal fav. is blueberry muffins with light cream cheese. We also have fruit and yoghurt, too. We've made bagel sandwiches w/ egg, cheese, and OSCAR MEYER bacon (England is not devoid of all yummy American foods) and crepes/ pancakes. Then, occassionally, a mum will make a coffee cake or casserole (think Monte Cristo sandwich from Bennigan's). You could bake some hash browns in the oven, and it'd be a healthier choice. I'm just rambling on now- and I'm hungry, too! Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin-

    I like baked oatmeal. You can make it the night before and it can last for several mornings, it's so good and you can make it with applesauce to keep the fat down! Grab a few fresh strawberries, warm up the baked oatmeal and make some hot tea. Yum! A perfect start to even an imperfect day!

    Let me know if you want the recipe!

    miss you
    ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would eat a bowl of shredded wheat every morning if Phil didn't require a little variety now and then. So, shredded wheat on most days, and on occasion I will make some breakfast sausage and biscuits or sweet rolls for him and then enjoy them myself and save them for mornings to come. Lately I have been drawn to Sam's croissants slightly toasted with jam on them and a scrambled egg. With strawberries in season, I cut up a couple of those to go on the side. Fresh fruit in the morning always makes my day.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.