Friday, November 26, 2010

A Moment

I have found myself past the suddenly a new momma phase and we've settled in pretty well to life with a six year old and an infant. Maybe settled in a little too much. Maybe I've let the fog of surviving each day/ each weekend overcome my wonder at this new, beautiful baby. But sometimes the clouds part for a while and it hits me. Of course, I write today (to as many of you as still read this now sparse blog of mine) because one of those moments struck me in a big way today and I was overcome.
I am not a black Friday shopper. Never have been. So we were home today destroying the house taking down the multiple stored Christmas boxes from the attic to bring on the red and green, glitter and wreaths, laminated fingerpainted ornaments and ribbons. Besides the tree, Evy was most excited about getting the stockings hung. So being the typically patient six year old, she tore into the boxes to find the stockings. She "awwww"-ed when we pulled out the slightly smaller one that is embroidered "Baby's 1st Christmas". I smiled at the thought of getting to use it again! It had already occured to me that this is her first Christmas before but it came to me again. (It's so different with Baby #2, huh?) Anyway, then she pulled out hers, Reed's and my stockings - matching but unique. Then she pulled out the fourth regular sized stocking. Yes!
I explained to her again, as I have for a few years now, that that one is for her sibling. When I bought the stockings now six years ago (wow!) I knew that we would have another child. Never would have imagined how or how long it would take, but I never even questioned buying that fourth stocking. I had them all embroidered with our names. They never could get MaryEvyn's name right, though they sent me three stockings where they tried. I finally ended up buying a blank one and having it done myself! Still makes me laugh! Mom sarcastically told me to "get used to it". But that fourth one stayed blank all these years.
Now, my friends, those of you who listened and prayed and cried with me for our second child, I have a name for that fourth stocking. My sweet Hollis.
Evy had no patience for my weighty moment, nor did she note my stifled tears and sniffles. She just wanted those stockings UP! So we hung them.

Evy stopped, actually stopped rifling through boxes, and stepped back. She clasped her hands behind her back and admired the view before her. I did, too. I picked her up and we enjoyed the scene together. Then she kissed me and was off. I lingered a little longer and let my fulfilled joy overtake me. Then I went into Hollis' room, picked her up, held her and cried. I thanked God once again with all the gratitude in my heart for this amazing girl. For hearing my prayers, for giving me the desire of my heart, for doing it in His way, according to His plan.
Every year my Christmas wish list shrinks a little. This year, man, what else could I ask for?

2 comments:

  1. Erin,
    Is it crazy that I remember when you bought those stockings, and that they couldn't get MaryEvyn's name right? (I have a crazy good memory, for most things!) I am so happy that God led Hollis to y'alll! She is such a lucky girl! I miss you, hope to see you at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stop making me cry erin!!
    so happy that you kept that 4th stocking all these years, and so thankful for God to bless you with Hollis! Merry 1st Christmas Hollis!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.