Monday, March 12, 2007

But what if...

This is a continuation of the thoughts on submission found in the post below.
"But what if the seemingly neglected, often recurring issue is more than a leaky faucet?" you may ask. What if the issue causes me to feel insecure, financially unstable, or unloved? Does this change my response? Does submission require that I keep quiet and continue to let it build and worsen? I think I'd explode! Yes, you probably would. No, silence is not equal to submission. The question is who are you talking to and what are you saying.
I talked to my husband about this and we discussed a few examples as well as our own ongoing struggle to maintain balance in an issue. He did not see this as an issue of submission, and I see his point, however, I've also heard and seen too many women who, in talking about their situation were very much outside of God's view of submission and respect for their husbands.
So, I've come to the conclusion that the best place to take our feelings over a neglected problem is to God. He is the One we are to talk to and let it all out. He knows, anyway, and He listens and understands better than our husbands even could. He is also the best go-between for whom we could ask. I mean, we should not be surprised when we feel forgotten, insecure, financially unstable, or unloved by our spouses; they are imperfect and not created to fulfill all of that. We were created to look to our loving Father to complete us and fill us, so that we go to our husbands complete already and in need and want of nothing except to give what we have away.
Now, having given this to God and being reassured and peaceful about His provision and sovereignty, we can approach the subject respectfully and fairly with our husbands...and I think we should. I mean, we are partners and healthy communication is your best ally. The beauty is that because of our assurances in Christ, we can talk to our husbands without blame or hurt. We can bring up the problem we are experiencing and begin to pray together for a solution that honors both of you. And, should your husband be unwilling and unapproachable about the subject, or if he just becomes defensive, I would back off and continue to pray that God soften his heart to hear yours and work toward a path of solution and reconciliation.
Oh, my friends, please know that I realize how very hard this is. I am right in there with you and struggle with this as well. This is exactly what I must preach to myself whenever my husband is late again from work and I sit down for dinner with my daughter without a phone call or notice of why he is not home. My first reaction is to let that resentment and bitterness, selfishness and entitlement take hold and run rampant. It's also my second and third reaction. It takes an act of God to break this cycle and call me to put aside my human anger and put on His righteousness and love. But, He's God and He's good like that when we trust Him.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:45 AM

    How did I say it in the email? ....oh yea... "quite the Christian woman mentor" It pleases me to see how God is working in and through you in even the simplest of ways and situations. Have enjoyed reading all of these. Several have meant something to me, but have chosen to write on this one since it is obviously relevant to me right now. (Is that scary or what?) Glad that you finally got DSL.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.