I have felt so overwhelmed with Student Ministry. I could list all of the circumstances of why this is, but it doesn't get to the root problem: sin. Mine, yours, theirs, it's everywhere. I guess I didn't fully believe that it would so thoroughly permeate ministry work. I mean, I'm tuning in to Him (though not nearly so much as I need) and feel that I know the direction (at least, generally) that He would have us go, but then why do I meet so many obstacles making it happen. Obstacles. Obstacles like very (too?) busy people who can't make time for a meeting, misunderstandings, different perspectives, mistrust, failed communication, forgetfulness, inattentiveness, pride, selfishness. Some of these are my own, I confess. But, oh my word! How is this supposed to work when for every small step forward our ministry seems to take a leap backwards. Just when I think everyone is on the same page and we all know what is going on, there is a complete breakdown or someone completely misses it. Argh! I have been trying for weeks to get 4 people together for a brief meeting and despite multiple attempts at setting a date, and countless emails back and forth, the day before it was to happen, one person realized that they had a major commitment that day. I cried. I really did. I'd had it.
Here's the deal. I'm a mom - full time. I'm not a youth minister, not even part time. I'm just as busy as everyone else and I get offended when my team members are unable to fulfill an agreed upon duty (typically the day of) and it is dumped in my lap. It makes me question their commitment level and makes me feel as if my time and my commitment is being abused. Then I feel guilty like I am judging them when I'm sure they have a perfectly good reason for what has happened. Or guilty because maybe those feelings are selfish. Also, I don't want anyone to feel like they have to do something. We are just all volunteers, so how much is fair to expect?
I know God has the answers to this so I'm not as "out there" alone, battling solo as I feel. I'm tired of feeling let down. I'm tired of feeling like I'm the only one fighting. How do I create these boundaries on my time and on other people's "good ideas"?
If you're reading this and you care, please pray! Pray that God will show all of us leaders the same vision and that some good guidelines will come out of it. Pray that God would bring us a leader to take over this ministry. Pray that I will lean on Him for perfection and not His people. He is the goal.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love your comments! Thanks.