Thursday, March 22, 2007

What is THAT!!

I love to get my hair cut. I would go twice a month if I could afford it. I don't really like pedicures or long trips to the spa...I just don't really like to just sit there for so long by myself - no matter how good it feels. Other things help me relax more. But, oh, to have fingers run through my hair telling me what great, thick hair I have. To wash it clean and soft. To cut all the fried ends off and emerge with a terrific new look is so worth every penny I pay and every mile that I drive into Houston. Stevie is my miracle worker's name and she truly is. She reads my mind and with only a few misunderstandings in our 10 year relationship, she is still my hair soul mate. I once thought I had found another that was closer, but I have now returned to my first true love.
She talks to me about her kids and their personalitlies - good and bad. And I talk about my Evy. We discuss raising kids in general as God-fearing women who want our kids to stand for Christ. She is a wonderful lady and usually an encouragement to be with and allow her to transform my hair into something amazing.
So, it was truly comforting to be with her, my hair best friend, and no other as a momentous hair occasion took place today. We had decided the best cut for now to let it grow into the vision of loveliness that is currently on the cover of In Style (Sandra Bullock - we have quite similar hair and I love her style). She had perfectly sculpted the misshapen look I had entered with, had blown it dry and was in the process of straightening it. I was watching fairly closely because I want to be able to duplicate this at home and as she straightened one little section of hair and was laying it carefully down in place, I saw it. Something strangely shimmering. At first I assumed it was just the light hitting one hair at an odd angle. But that didn't make sense...why just that one little strand of hair? (and, mind you, it is one, little strand of hair). Then I begin to voice the question, "What...what is...is that....?" as I lean in closer to the mirror. Stevie freezes and doesn't know what to say. "Is that a....?" I can't even say the words. She looks at me and smiles. "Yes, it is." I gasped! "You're kidding!" Oh my goodness! How could it be? She asked if I had not seen it before. "NO!" I gasped again! I'm sure she has not seen this side of my usually calm and collected self before. I told her to pull it out. She kinda laughed and wouldn't do it. I am determined to find this hair and do it myself. Ugh, I'm totally bothered that it's been there and I didn't even know it. I feel so betrayed by my hair! Anyway, it is in a very unnoticeable spot, nowhere near the part where it would easily and often be seen by all. In fact, I will have to search diligently to find it - but I will!
I know this is vain...but, really, is it not the beginning of the end? Steph says (quite unbelievably) "Oh, it's the beginning of your crown of glory!" You know the look I gave her even though it was on the phone. Then I laughed and told her that I would repeat those words to her when it's her turn. Anyway, that's my big moment. I'll be 33 in April but the end is coming. Man, I'm old.

1 comment:

  1. Erin!
    Oh my soul. I'm so sorry that your hair is...that you have a...well, you know. No words of encouragement here, just a: So sad sister, It's truly NOT the end :)

    miss you
    ash

    p.s. I totally know the face you gave over the phone. funny.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.