Monday, August 06, 2007

A Day at the Beach!

We spent this Saturday at Galveston. I took a bunch of students from Crossbridge with some leaders to a great little pocket park and it was great! Though it rained in the city, we saw very few little clouds and it was sunny all day! The waves were very gentle which was perfect for Evy's first trip in the ocean. She wore a little life jacket but didn't like to go too far. She loved building a sand castle and put shells on top for "flags". She also loved playing with a beach ball in the shallow water and throwing it to all of her "friends" (Kris, Priscilla, Joe, Daddy, anyone else who would catch it!). She let me pull her on a boogie board in the shallows, too.

We ate lunch on the deck and then arrived down on the beach. The guys were starting a game of ultimate frisbee (I think that's what they're playing) and Reed joined in. He was not the same after that. We thought he just needed to rest and drink some water which is what he did. But then he said that just the water was making him nauseous. He thought he was going to lose it many times that day (probably wished he could), but didn't. He was able to manage getting in the water a few times and to play with Evy. It wasn't until we got home that we realized he very well could have had heat exhaustion. Bad call on the ultimate game... oh, well. He's fine now!

Anyway, after little cold showers to rinse off, we headed to LaKing's on the Strand for some old-fashioned candy and ice cream goodness. Fantastic. If you've never been, I consider it a must for every G-town trip. There was a man making taffy and he would throw some out in the crowd. Everyone got one and MaryEvyn was delighted! The ice cream was the perfect end. Evy actually tasted a few and ended up choosing French Vanilla, isn't that funny? She ate every bite.

We got home about 6:30 (Reed finally made it home by about 7:15). Super fun day (well, if you weren't Reed, that is!). ;-) Good memories!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Ultimate Frisbee... I miss those days. I'll have to check out LaKing's next time I'm in Galveston. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.