Friday, March 28, 2008

What would you do?

For the past couple of weeks, I've just happened to catch a special prime time series on ABC called "What would you do?" It's a classic hidden video scenario, however, the situations aren't a practical joke, they are real, plausible ethical dilemmas. Now, it's all staged by actors but those around are not and the interesting thing to see is how they all respond.
For instance, your best friend is getting married and has told you that she has found the dress and wants you to come and see it and give your opinion. Only....it's hideous! Do you say anything?

Here's another one: you're jogging/walking in the park when you see and hear a couple loudly arguing. He is physical, though not violent, with her. What do you do?

In yet another, there is an obese woman sitting on a bench in a public place and some teenagers come up and begin ruthlessly ridiculing and berating her. Do you say anything?

Last one: you're in one of those toddler play places and several of the children who aren't being watched (though they clearly should be) begin climbing on a chair to get to the bin of antibacterial towlettes provided and grab handfuls of them. They take them to the top of the equipment, open them, and toss them down to the bottom. What do you do?

Okay, the first three were from the show. The last happened to me just a couple of weeks ago.

Friends, as I read these I feel like I know what my answer would/should be, but in the actual situation...I honestly think I would walk right on by. DGI, as one target on the show put it: Don't Get Involved. In that last example, I did just that...I watched those kids waste all those little wipees but only shook my head at those horrible, self involved moms and their misbehaving children (wink, wink). I think I did finally tell one little girl as she passed by me to get more, that no, she did not need more and they needed to stop. But my friend who was still in the restaurant portion discovered what was happening and came in to put a firm stop to it! And did she ever! She told them all to come down and give her the wipes, then she made them all clean up the ones they'd thrown down, threatening to go find their mothers if they didn't - and she would have, believe me!

I felt shamed.

Of course that is what needed to be done. But I simply sat there thinking of how angelic my child was and me, oh, such the sublime mother dutifully watching her one and only run about with her friends!

This incident and this show have convicted me about my priestly ways as I see the victims clearly before me, yet am not the Samaritan that I think I am. Now, clearly, there are times when a situation calls for us to be prudent and get in touch with those who can really be of help (and safely). But I am ashamed at the possibly hurting, lonely, misguided people that I turn my back on and walk the other way leaving them to their own devices. Jesus would not do that. Nor does He want me to. He calls us to get our hands dirty, reach out and do the right thing - no matter how hard, embarassing, or uncomfortable it may be.

I will be on the lookout.

So watch out, ye ne'er do wells! Stand back, you lawless ones! Take heart, yon citizen! This Samaritan is here to help! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I love watching that series! I find myself questioning what I'd do and I always hope I'd do the right thing and not out of guilt, but from my heart. I like how that show gets me to think.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.