At first, she said she wanted a horse party. "What would we do?" I asked her. "Well, we would ride our pretend ponies all around the house!" she replied. As fun as that sounds, I didn't think some of her other friends would find that nearly as entertaining. So after talking it over with Reed, I threw out another option: take two close friends on a trail ride on real horses. Her eyes popped out of her head. "Really?!!"
So yesterday Reed and I took MaryEvyn, Annelise, and Sarah to Cypress Trails. It surpassed all expectations! What I didn't want is to be led around in a circle by some sweaty old man on a tired, sad old pony. Boy, did we do more than that!
After picking out our helmets, we were each helped onto specially selected horses. Our guide gave us very brief instructions on using the reins and off we went! No one holding a rope to our horse, just "Here we go!" Whoa!!
Annie even got to lead her horse, Simba, to where she mounted it!Don't you love her red boots!!
We followed our guide on her horse into a wooded area with soft, sandy paths winding all through it. There was plenty of shade a enough of a breeze that it actually felt rather pleasant even with jeans and boots on. It was really beautiful!
Our guide in front then Sarah, then Evy.
There were a couple of funny/scary moments when our horses chose to do their own thing without warning, but overall, they were wonderful and well trained, sweet horses. Once I looked up and saw Reed and his horse, Kelly, off the path and into some bushes and low hanging trees. I was about to yell at him to ask what he was doing when I realized that it was not intentional and he was trying to guide his horse out. All the while he was ducking and trying not to get mauled by branches. Then all that would come out of my mouth was laughter!! (As it still does when I think of it!).
The girls: Annelise, me, Sarah riding Cocoa and Evyn.
We rode about an hour (which was all my aching derriere and knees could have taken!) and then headed to the picnic tables and play area for lunch. We had packed some yummy sandwiches and pink lemonade. A swarm of flies, a cat and a dog invited themselves, too, but didn't damper our fun.
Cupcakes, singing, and gifts came next, of course, followed by fun on the swingset while Reed and I packed up and cooled off the car.
The girls chatted on and on about their experience and it was clear that it was a day they would not soon forget!
Happy Birthday to my Boo Bear.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love your comments! Thanks.