Friday, April 01, 2011

About Dwight

Hi, Friends. It's been a while...blah, blah, blah.... ;-) I want to tell you about a man named Dwight. I don't remember his last name. Reed and I and a team of Crossbridgers met Dwight, oh, about 3 years ago when we went to Brownsville for a mission trip. We stayed in a bunkhouse of sorts. Two big rooms of bunks and a big bathroom on either side of a large common room with tables and a kitchen. Dwight and his wife, Connie, came every morning and she would make our breakfast and prepare our lunches to pack with us. Then Dwight drove us across the border into Mexico in his rickety old car. That thing ran on fumes but yet we never questioned whether or not it would get us there. It was just one of those things where it was clearly old but dearly loved and depended on so it kept on chugging taking Dwight and whoever was with him into the poorest places of Mexico and back again. To the people he loved. Day after day. Yes, very much like Dwight. He was old. I mean - o.l.d. Didn't really matter how old. But old. As soon as you met him, though, you knew he was dearly loved and that you would love him, too. You knew he was dependable and good and even more so because of the many miles he'd traveled. He'd come in to the center every morning, plop down on a chair, take off his hat and one of us would cheerily greet him, "Good morning, Dwight! How are you?" To which he would always respond with some peculiar response like, "Well, I woke up this morning, so I'm still here." He would very matter of factly be sure to tell us things like how to get where we were going because he "might die and not be there to get us back." It sounds gloomy but it was anything but. It wasn't depressing at all, in fact, it was exactly the opposite. I've never met anyone before or since that wanted to be in Heaven with Jesus more than Dwight. So, when he woke up every morning, it was like he was disappointed that he had to wait another day. So when we got the news last week that Dwight was in hospice, his body riddled with cancer, I was actually happy for him. Yep. I know of no one else that is more excited to meet his Maker than Dwight. Now he's very close, my friends. So I might shed a tear for losing the example this gentle and wonderful man would give to so many, but what a delight that his joy will truly be made complete very soon. God, thanks for giving us Dwight.

1 comment:

  1. hey friend! it was so good to hear from you! thank you for reading and for giving me some feedback!

    i just posted about a book you would really love for a poetry unit. i found mine at my local library, but now i think i want my own copy...

    :) jeannie

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.