Thursday, September 13, 2007

Can Anyone Explain Houston Weather to Me?

Really, now. I have experienced a lot of things living in Houston all of my life. I have seen flags on a pole go from blowing like mad in one direction only to change and go the complete opposite direction all while sitting and eating lunch.
I have entered a building in short sleeves and departed a few hours later only to be met by freezing cold.
I have endured hurricanes...and I've fled from them, too (Rita, anyone?) I remember Alicia as one of the worst, by the way.
I do understand how our weather changes at the drop of a hat. But can anyone, anyone explain yesterday's "tropical storm"? I put it in quotes because I'm not convinced there ever was one!
I watched the news and listened to the weather yesterday at about 9am. Nothing. Then I get a call from a leader telling me there's a tropical storm that's headed for us that evening! So I turn on the news and sure enough, the telltale red, yellow and green swirls on the radar right off of Galveston. Schools are closing and Frank is telling us how it's going to dump all of this rain. Okay, okay, I think, I'll cancel student community group, for pete's sake!
Did we get a drop of rain? No. I even understood that it was supposed to linger for days: "Expect rain all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday..." I heard. I awoke this morning to a blue sky, a few puffy white clouds and not a hint of rain.
That was a first. How did a tropical storm hit only a few miles from my home, skid across Houston, even, and leave me dry? If anyone knows Frank personally, I'd like a word...
I'm not complaining, really, just befuddled. That's a new one in my book!

Reed comes home tomorrow, so do Phil and Cynthia - YEA!!
Have a great weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Our return got a mention on your blog! We are back and can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.