Long title, I know, but here it is. I have strong opinions about public restrooms. I'm sure you do, too, if you've ever stepped foot in a gas station restroom. Here's what really gets me about restrooms: they say so much about an establishment, and it would seem relatively easy to make going to the restroom a pleasant experience, or at least not an unpleasant one.I would love to be the person who will either visit your existing restroom and tell you what you need to do to improve your w.c. or I could see/hear the plans you have for your restroom and do the same. I'll call myself a Public Restroom Consultant. No kidding!
I mean, there are those places where you're not surprised to find that cleanliness is clearly low on the priority list. I've even refused to go in some places because I just couldn't take it. But then there are those places where you may be enjoying your meal, thinking you've just discovered a little gem of a place until you visit their restroom, and you think, "What happened here?" All of a sudden the little attentions that were obviously given to the menu and decor were just totally forgotten. When we were in Alabama we found this great little Italian cafe and were pleased by the menu and the neat surroundings. However, after a trip to the restroom, I was so turned off that for the first time ever I had to tell the guy at the counter that it needed attention. I will keep myself from telling you why.
Anyway, I was reminded about these thoughts today as I visited a restroom at McDonald's and found a relatively small overlook: no hook in the stall for my purse. I ended up doing my business with my purse over my shoulder! ugh.
So I decided to list some components of the perfect restroom (which, by the way, I've probably only experienced a handful). Some of these are essential, some would just be more helpful.
1. a hook for my purse/bags/sweater/keys. I don't want a little shelf thingy. The bottom of my purse is dirty enough, thanks, and you don't need more horizontal spaces to catch more germs and dirt.
2. clean the floor. thoroughly. 'nuf said.
3. a trash receptacle in every stall.
4. paper towels. I know what they say about the hand dryers being more "environmentally friendly", but they stink. Most of the time, if that's all that's offered, I just shake my hands dry or pat them on my relatively clean jeans. Just put out the towels, that's what we all really want. Then if you must, slap on one of those stickers/magnets that remind us to just use one towel - it's all I really need, and the rest can air dry.
5. a working lock on all stalls.
6. pull the door to enter, push to exit. I've just washed my hands and I don't want to now touch anything. If this isn't possible, put a trash can next to the door so that I can easily throw away the towel (see #4) that I used to open the door.
7. good toilet paper. Not that stuff that I have to get a mile of to have any substance, y'know?
8. extra points: decor that matches the rest of the restaurant. I love how La Madeleine has the audio french lesson. I love their tile floor and full door stalls. Please don't install that full on downward facing lighting right over the mirror (am I right, ladies?)
I'm sure that there are more. I'm sure you have your own list. Go ahead and let me hear 'em. I'll add them to my job description! :-)
There are many reasons why I love you...listing the components for the perfect bathroom is definitely high on the list!! You are the cutest!
ReplyDeleteHave you seen the new bathrooms at the First Colony Mall? They have AMAZING hand dryers...really...they are like hand drying miracles from outer space. They thoroughly dry and you don't have to touch a thing. And overall the bathroom has really improved. In the new family potty, it has the cutest little toddler potty. I think it would even pass YOUR inspection :)!
ReplyDeleteThe sinks have to be set in so that when you turn off teh water to teh sink the drippings from your hands should run back in to teh sink, not all over teh counter. Sorry a pet peeve of mine from the restrooms up at work. Love you my sweet Consultant!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are the queen of clean, you know? I wouldn't want it any other way!
ReplyDelete:)
Hols
yes yes yes!
ReplyDeleteadd to the list that there should be a functional changing table in every restroom, and a bonus us the little seat that you could buckle your little one in while you pee so that they're not sitting on the nastly floor on in your arms as you attempt to hover.
Ha-ha!! I laughed the entire time reading this...I love it!
ReplyDeleteI am a bathroom freak too and cringe every time I have to use a public bathroom; especially if it means taking my little girls to the bathrooms with their busy little hands everywhere!!
In fact, I actually purchased a portable potty seat with a cute little bag that I can take with me when we're on the go. And sometimes if a place is really dirty or it's just plain easier, I'm not at all ashamed to sit the portable potty out on the ground next to the car (shielding of course)so that the girls can do their business. We dump all dirty baggies in the trash bins and we're done! Purell of course along with wipes are always kept in our travel bag!! :)