I sit finally resting my weary self after quite an ordeal. It all started yesterday as I was making lunch after Reed had replaced the sink. I noticed a small amount of dust and debris on the stove top that I assumed came from the work being done. I was not in the mood to clean it thinking we'd just do one big clean up when they were all done. I mentioned it to Reed, though, this afternoon and we wondered aloud what it could be. Reed suggested it came from the toaster since that had been where it sat during the project. We later both admitted that we agreed to that explanation not wanting to say what else we were thinking could explain it.
Now fast forward to tonight. We went to my mother's to make Valentine cookies with my neices and nephew. When we got home, Reed took Evy to check on the holes he had patched yesterday where squirrels had been getting into our attic causing havoc and making a lot of noise. I decided to go on in the house. The first thing I noticed, however, is that the "debris" that was on the stove top was now much worse and had...well, additions. With much trepidation, I looked above it. Yup, a big ol' gnawed hole in the metal mesh that covers the vent in the hood over the stove.
Now think of Janice's voice from "Friends" in your head as you hear me say, "OH - MY - GOSH!!!" I set everything down and proceeded to look for whatever creature was now freely roaming my home. Hoping it was only a squirrel (which is, of course, bad enough, but not as bad as it could be!). I spied it almost immediately. A big brown, furry body behind the wingback chair in the family room. Big bushy tail. We just looked at each other for a minute.
Then I comically hear Reed outside in his chipper, proud voice: "Yup, Evy, we got 'em all covered! No more noisy squirrels!" Boy, was his bubble about to burst. I reached for the camera. However, as I got close enough to actually get a picture, he bolted! Scared the crap outta me! I watched where he went, then I yelled out the door: "REED!!! Get in here!!"
He did and I, regretfully, sarcastically, asked if he was sufficiently proud of his handiwork. He knew something was up. I showed him the evidence and pointed to where the squirrel had gone. We quickly sent Evy to her room, and well, to spare you every detail, there was yelling (by me), our brave, calm neighbor with dog food, and Reed's pellet gun involved. It ran to the front entryway where it slammed into the mirror, the kitchen, the breakfast room, up my baker's rack to the curtain rod, hesitated on the clock for a while (which was quite a feat) and dashed into the utility room. There it used Reed's hand as a launching point of escape (anyone know about rabies reports in the area?) and somehow, finally, made it's way out the back door.
Because the cleanliness of the kitchen had been clearly compromised, we ordered Chinese and ate it on a plastic tablecloth on the rug in the family room after it had been vacuumed thoroughly. We have spent the last 3 and half hours or so 409'ing, disinfecting, vacuuming every surface of that living room and kitchen (especially the stove!!!!!). We are exhausted. But, hopefully, finally squirrel-free. We better be or next time, I'll be reaching for the pellet gun, not the camera!!
That is so crazy...I would have freaked out!!!
ReplyDeleteHAHA! That makes me think of the Walk for the Cure...The Office, anyone?
ReplyDeleteSorry about your squirrel trouble. Hopefully he'll go and tell all his furry friends that the Cutshall house is hostile and they should stay away!
Can't wait for Thursday!!!
oh my gosh....really only brings to mind one thing - national lampoons christmas vacation - seriously only thought that happened in the movies :)
ReplyDeleteoh--my--g---!!! my heart was beating so fast just reading that!!
ReplyDeleteEeeew!!! You seriously need to get ya some of that Get Away spray I was talking about... :)
ReplyDeleteHAhA! I'm so sorry about this issue, but I'm so glad that you shared...I was laughing out loud the whole time.
ReplyDeleteToo funny. Hope that's the end of your furry trouble.
AHHHH! You are a trooper. I would have spent the whole night wondering where his friend is...under the bed perhaps?!
ReplyDeleteI know it wasn't funny to you, but it was a good laugh for me! Glad it's out though and hope it doesn't come back. :)
ReplyDelete