I have had vague subjects that could have been posts, though not so interesting on their own. So I'm thinking maybe I'll just throw them all in here together. Uh, shortest to longest, ok?
1. Last night's Oscars. I really liked the movie Once, as you may recall my writings on it, and Reed and I were thrilled that a great song from that movie was not only nominated, it was performed live by the artists who wrote, sang and performed it in the movie - beat up guitar and all! Then, not only was it nominated and performed, it won! Reed and I jumped off the couch as if the Aggies had just beaten texas (again) and were enthralled to hear their acceptance (though Marketa's was a little delayed). Wonderful moment. P.S. See Phil or Tim's blog if you want to see/hear their songs.
As for the rest, well, I didn't see No Country For Old Men and probably never will (too violent), but found myself considering watching other Best Picture winners from years past. Laurence of Arabia anyone?
2. I have been in search of material for an Easter dress I want to attempt for Evy. My client's stipulations are: PINK! (are you surprised?) This has proven to be difficult. Because I don't want a boring solid pink, but don't want little bitty calico-y flowers (too Little House on the Prairie), yet I don't want big bold flowers either ("Is there a girl inside that dress? All I see are flowers!"). I've been to JoAnn's but a lot of their stuff is very novelty-ish. Then I went to Quilter's Emporium - that's a GREAT place and you seamstress friends should check it out! However, no luck in the Easter dress department. Then I went to High Fashion thinking that would surely have exactly what I wanted. No such luck. And, I went across the street to find a red toile (like Catherine's blue one) for new couch cushions - also no luck. Sad, my friends. The clock's a-tickin'. Any suggestions?
3. Making a meal in a slow cooker today. It is fabulous, however, the smell is about to send me over the edge! I'm eating everything in sight because my mouth is watering for that chicken! I can't wait to eat it with the rice and broccoli I'm going to make.
4. On Thursday, after dropping Evy off at school, I went to a great mom friend's house for coffee. I had set this time up with her because I knew her to be a beautiful woman of prayer and that she knew God's voice. She is older than me and has two terrific girls (elementary and jr. high) that she has raised to know thier faith and fear God. It has proven itself as the beginning of wisdom which I highly believe is my greatest calling as a mom. Not only to live that belief out for myself, but also to pass it on to my children (yes, I'm believing for more!). Anyway, it was better than I had expected. She has a passion to do exactly what I had asked for: advice, wisdom sharing, suggestions. I was able to ask any question and she was delighted to offer what she'd learned and prayers she'd prayed. She and I are both eager to do it again sometime and just meeting with her really took off some stress that I had placed on myself and my daughter to meet some crazy expectations.
I highly recommend finding someone that fits this bill for you and get together with her and fire away with questions then just sit and soak up what they say. It was delightful and I was so encouraged and renewed.
That's all.
That's what this blog is all about anyway, right? Random, personal thoughts. I'd love to know yours!
I also had the thought, "I am going to watch all 80 movies that won best picture!" It'll take some time, but I think it would be fun. There are a few violent ones in there Cutshall, you may not be able to stomach 'em all. ;)
ReplyDeleteAs for your coffee date, I'd love to hear more. I completely agree...we all need a little help from those who are a step or two ahead of us.
Right there with ya on Once girlie! We loved the movie and because of Mr. Music man over here we listen to it over and over and over again! Good Stuff! :)
ReplyDeleteOn the sewing, I suggest using ric rac or some eyelet fabric to break up the all pink dress! When Grace was 1 I tried to make an easter dress, and it ended up so small it only fit one of her dolls. So heed the warning - it is easier to take in than to let out....
ReplyDeleteTwo books I would suggest all young parents just starting the parenting phase of their lives would be: How Children Raise Parents by Dan B. Allender, PhD - this book is one to read and re-read, soak up and ponder. It's not a list of how to's, it deals with the deeper issues that drive our children, mainly the two questions they are asking, "Am I loved?" and "Can I get my way?" The book also encourages in the fact that God gives us children to "change us". The other book, "Total Truth" by Nancy Pearcy, will help a family establish a Christian worldview so that when the kids leave on their own, they aren't swayed by the crap they hear, but see God in it all. I wish these had been around when I was raising kids.
ReplyDeleteI really like "Lawrence of Arabia", but I like most of those old "epic" style movies. I'd suggest renting it. It has stunning cinematography. It's long so prepare yourself for that.
ReplyDelete