A while back I wrote an ambitious little post about serving with a three year old. Well, I didn't really plan this, but it just so happened that we found a wonderful opportunity to introduce the idea this weekend.
Now, please know that of course we teach Evy about the little servant hearted things we can do every day to show God's love and share His joy, but this was one of those directed, purposeful projects that would really put teeth on it, y'know?
So, about a year ago, Crossbridge Student Ministry helped a sweet elderly lady with some yard work. Okay, so maybe we got a little zealous with an overgrown vine which, as it turned out, was the only thing holding up a rotting back fence, but she was very appreciative. So much so that she called me up a couple of weeks ago asking if we could come again. "Sure," I say with confidence. Only the fact is that organizing our little group isn't what it used to be and after she had to call me again, I just gave her a date that was good for us and Reed and I headed out there.
Evy was very excited to help, though she was distraught at not having her own work gloves (pink ones, of course...). When we got there Mrs. B showed us what she'd like to have done and it was just perfect for our allotted time and for Evy to help.
Okay, so, really she just watched and played but she did help me bag up some of the clippings and pulled weeds and grass. But the best part was just getting to really talk to her and put real action to what we teach her about serving others. She really seemed to get it and my favorite part was the quote you see as the title of this post. She said that as we were cleaning up and she was actually helping.
A priceless opportunity and I'm going to be on the lookout for more!
that's great you're teaching her to serve at such a young age! i can't believe she said that, how cute!
ReplyDeleteMaryEvyn is so cute. That is awesome that she is learning at a young age what it means to serve. Speaking of serving I am going to start serving in the 3-5 yr olds but if you read my post you will see that I might not get to start as soon as I would like due to circumstances beyond my control!!
ReplyDeleteGreat Job! Next time, give the Nilssons a call and we will join you.
ReplyDelete