Saturday, July 18, 2009

It's Done...sort of...

Well, the curtain for MaryEvyn's room is done. It's been in the works for so long!!



But, as with most of my sewing projects, there is the up side of sewing it yourself. And then there's the down side.
First, the up side.
I picked the exact fabric and colors I wanted. I made it look the way I wanted. I coordinated the way I wanted. I got to design it myself and there is a lot of pride in making your ideas come to life.
Also, the hanging of the curtain turned out to be a family affair. Evy loved helping Reed! Especially since it meant climbing up to that ledge in front of her window!



But then there's a down side. The re-stringing of the little plastic rings, for one thing! Grrrr!
The ingenuity and discussion and all it took to figure out how to mount this sucker of a curtain rod as an inside mount!
And now, when I thought it was all done...yet another problem...


While I'm very proud of the overall look and the scallops (though they still need to be fussed with a bit to get them even) and as excited as I was to see it up, there is now a GLARING problem. (I'm hoping it's one of those situations where it is glaring to me, but maybe, maybe, not to others.)
Do you see that gap of light shining above the curtain? It's much more noticeable in reality. The ruffled top above the rod is just too short. I thought I had allowed enough at the top to cover all of that, but apparently not!
So there's yet more measuring and figuring to do. Especially since my hubby who lovingly hung the silly thing is, um, reluctant (to say the least) to take it down so that I can modify it!
I have a plan in mind but am open. Suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. i think it looks great! the light above the curtain would not bother me at all...so i would leave it...but if it bothers you, then i would fix it. but i don't know how unless you take the curtain down and adjust the curtain rod or add some fabric to the top ruffle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hot glue some trim to the top.. voila. sonya would be horrified at this advice, but hey if it works?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:11 PM

    Could it be the way the blind slats are closed? If they're closed up, the light is shining up, if down then maybe that would solve the light issue. Also, I found for privacy with a two story house with blinds, the motto I made up is up (upstairs) is down, and down (downstairs) is up! Works except for standing in front of the potty or the kitchen sink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about this last night. One idea could be to sew a strip of fabric the length of the curtain and pin it to the existing curtain (creating a second row of ruffles at the top) . Not sure if that is the look you're going for, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the valance looks great! you are really good! Morgan & Cynthia's ideas are good - some people would even do that on purpose to add a bit more detail. You can also make the rod pocket a little lower, which is probably the fastest solution. I personally, would not hot glue, only because sewing would be easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:05 AM

    Hey Erin! Just wanted to send you to a blog - www.restyledhome.blogspot.com- her post for yesterday (Monday July 27) is about recovering a chair. But, what was really cute that I wanted you to see, was a sling her friend made for young daughter and she has her cat in it!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.