
Okay, gals, I gotta idea! But everyone has to play! The other day as I was menu planning and ruminating over my cookbooks, I got to wondering, "Hmmm...I wonder what Steph is making tonight." And then, "Ooohh, I wonder what Sarah H. (you stalker, you!) is making tonight! Probably something delicious with lots of veggies that her kids will devour!" And then, "Oh, and I'd love to go to Jenny's house and see what wonderfulness she is whipping up over there! Although it probably has nothing whatsoever to do with a recipe or much less a cookbook!"
SOOO...Let's share.
Tell me, tell us all,
1. What is your favorite, go-to, never fail, use it all the time cookbook (or magazine)?
2. Why?
3. Where do you keep your cookbooks/recipes?
4. Do you menu plan? If so, what gets made every week?
Fun, right? You can tell us on your own blog (Karen M. this is a great excuse to get back onto that bloggie of yours!) or you can leave a comment (for the wusses!).
Here's mine!
1. and 2. Well, lately it's been my Kraft magazines (sign up for them on Kraftfoods.com - you get one per quarter) though I'm actually beginning to aquiesce to Reed's suggestion that most of their recipes are really just a base and need some extra ooomph to be really good. But they're always easy (a *must*) and have few ingredients (another *must*).
However, for a nicer, not so ho-hum dinner, I've been getting into Cooking Light magazines and Better Homes and Gardens. The CL issue I just got was a real winner! Lots of terrific summer yumminess! I'm all about salads in the summer! No oven!!
SOOO...Let's share.
Tell me, tell us all,
1. What is your favorite, go-to, never fail, use it all the time cookbook (or magazine)?
2. Why?
3. Where do you keep your cookbooks/recipes?
4. Do you menu plan? If so, what gets made every week?
Fun, right? You can tell us on your own blog (Karen M. this is a great excuse to get back onto that bloggie of yours!) or you can leave a comment (for the wusses!).
Here's mine!
1. and 2. Well, lately it's been my Kraft magazines (sign up for them on Kraftfoods.com - you get one per quarter) though I'm actually beginning to aquiesce to Reed's suggestion that most of their recipes are really just a base and need some extra ooomph to be really good. But they're always easy (a *must*) and have few ingredients (another *must*).
However, for a nicer, not so ho-hum dinner, I've been getting into Cooking Light magazines and Better Homes and Gardens. The CL issue I just got was a real winner! Lots of terrific summer yumminess! I'm all about salads in the summer! No oven!!
My Kraft and Cooking Light magazines are here next to my notebook with all of my mother's and grandmother's best recipes and the box chock full of all my favorites so far!
3. I keep it all in this fabulous (well, I think it's fabulous) iron baker's rack that I snatched up at some antiques store or other - oh, wait, yes! It was from McKinney when we were visiting Reed's grandmother who lives down the street from some of the best antiquing! Ummm...anyway...the point is that I got it for $15! Here they are:
Who's that hiding behind the cookie jar on the bottom shelf?
4. Yep, I have to menu plan or dinner just won't get made. I am not creative in the least about what to make, so if there's no plan or recipe, I just get stalled out and make nothing so Reed comes home and I say, "Well, either you get to cook tonight (cuz he's a great improvisor) or it's Italian (read: pizza) or Chinese (read: Panda Garden)".
As for every week, well, usually spaghetti (most of the summertime without meat) and tacos or taco salad. Boring, I know. Some variant of a BLT salad has been making a pretty regular appearance, too. This is what I made tonight. YUM!
So, there you are. I hope you other girls play cuz I really do want to know!
As for every week, well, usually spaghetti (most of the summertime without meat) and tacos or taco salad. Boring, I know. Some variant of a BLT salad has been making a pretty regular appearance, too. This is what I made tonight. YUM!
So, there you are. I hope you other girls play cuz I really do want to know!
Oh! It's Skippy! "Hi, Skippyjon!"
Congratulations on your new family member...many good times ahead with a pet! I've been getting "Southern Living" magazine since I was a young mom! You know, being from the south and all! And everything goes better with sweet tea! Anyway, the 1992 yearly cookbook from SL has the sourcream pound cake recipe that is awesome in the summer, with sliced strawberries and freshly made whipped cream, that I love to make! I think it's the best, is the only magazine I subscribe to. Right now, all cookbooks are boxed up, in the garage! Looking forward to the new built-in shelves in my new kitchen cabinets for them! I used to menu plan, should get back to it.
ReplyDeleteway to coerce me into leaving a comment, erin! :>)
ReplyDeletei love cooking light too! and the new issue is great, indeed - i'm super excited about trying some of those yummy-looking sandwiches. i actually use a ton of jenny's recipes since we like lots of the same things. in fact, i was just saying to mike, "what did we EAT before i knew jenny?!?" but anyway, go-to recipes. we do a LOT of mexican-y type things over here. i love to do different types of shrimp dishes & then wrap them up in a tortilla w/ avocado & scallions & cilantro, stuff like that. i've been experimenting a lot w/ red & green curry paste to make thai-inspired things also. lately i've been really into doing fun breakfasts - pancakes w/ fruit in them (the kids like to drop in the berries) or poached-egg on a pancake (this morning's concoction). and i really prefer getting recipes from friends/acquaintances, rather than cookbooks - so much more personal, and recipes and the exchange of them always seem to tell a kind of story, which i love. i could go on & on - food being my favorite thing to talk about!
love your blog - keep it up!
My most favorite go to cookbook is from the church my parents and several of my family members got married in. It's the Cedar Hill Centennial Cookbook from 1984. It is like the cooking Bible in our family. My grandma, aunts, my mom and my sisters all have a copy!! I use 2 recipes from there a lot. Fantastic Chicken and Easy Bake Chicken. Super simple and super good. I keep my recipe books and box up in my pantry. And yes I have been menu planning for a couple of months now and it has been a super saver for grocery shopping. And we usually have breakfast for dinner or hot dogs on the grill most every week. Hot dogs get phased out in the winter but for summer we do a lot of grilling and hot dogs are the fav choice of a certain 2 year old!!
ReplyDeleteI posted about this on my blog! Thanks for starting this! What fun!!
ReplyDeleteis it bad that i don't have a go to recipe book?? ;)
ReplyDeletei just posted on my blog too! but now that i think about it, i don't think it is really all that helpful...i need new recipe ideas!
ReplyDelete