Here's what I mean by that.
It really was crazy. It was crazy how fast and how relatively unprepared we were for our family to grow. To establish a new "normal". I guess I subconciously thought that we would get our sweet babe, I would nestle her in my arms, kiss her sweet head and we'd move on to being back to our little family. It honestly had to hit me and I'm realizing that this IS our new normal. Well, not the sleeping 4 hours a night bit (hopefully!), but the sharing and giving and taking... it's so...so... strange and feels a little out of my skin. So I'm settling into that new normal.
We're settling into an unpredictable sleep. Will she sleep tonight? Will I sleep tonight? And how many times have I already prayed, I mean earnestly prayed, "Lord, PLEASE let her sleep!" And it's only day 11! But she really is doing well. About every other night or so she has a great 5 hour stretch of good sleep and we relish it! She does pretty well at night about going right back to sleep after her bottle. But all it takes is one 2am feeding where she struggles to go back to sleep that will do me in! But we're getting there. We're accepting and enjoying this newborn stage with it's unpredictable sleep and cuddles and coos and poops and all!
We're settling in to getting to know each other. After all, she hasn't been "with" us for nine months. She is learning us and we're learning about her. She likes to be held. Closely! She likes to take a longer nap in the morning right after that second bottle. She does NOT like mama's cold hands and so far really dislikes baths. She likes her hands and arms free when she's swaddled. She is strong and alert! She can let you know when she's done being burped (she sorta slides herself down your arm - it's cute!). Stuff like that.
But not only that, I have noticed a marked change in her sense of responsibility. She does her "routine" (brushing teeth, hair, getting dressed...) without being told over and over. She does her few, little chores with less complaining and arguing (though it still exists). I've just been so pleased to see her mature through this. I hope and pray it lasts.
What I can say is that baby #2 is MUCH different. I am not nearly - I mean NEARLY - as anxious with her as I was with Evyn. I don't worry about scheduling things during the day because "who knows if she'll cry and if she does what will I do" that almost consumed me in those first months with Evy. And yet, it's true, there are already fewer pictures of her and she probably gets sung to a little less than E ever was. But, so I'm told, that's ok. She is no less loved. No less snuggled and adored and treasured. We just live the moments a little more than we record them. But every mama knows that we "treasure all these things and ponder them in [our] hearts".
So there you go. The long answer behind the short one. Just in case you wondered.
Oh my goodness!!! Erin & Reed, Congratulations! :) I'm am SO happy for you guys! What beautiful girls you have! :) God is so faithful! :) Happy new baby! :)
ReplyDeleteI love how you said you live the moments more than you record them. That is the essence of the second child. I think I have been better able to enjoy julianna's early days, but there are far fewer videos.
ReplyDeleteI love how you said you live the moments more than you record them. That is the essence of the second child. I think I have been better able to enjoy julianna's early days, but there are far fewer videos.
ReplyDelete