Monday, February 19, 2007

Transformation - How does He do it?

Let me just start by saying that it is a divine mystery and I know this. I know this also means that it defies human logic. But so does God Himself, but that doesn't stop us (nor should it, by all means) from contemplating Him. As a matter of fact, that is what God desires is for us to contemplate and meditate on Him and His character and His Word. What better thing could occupy my mind?
So, with this in mind, let's explore a question I've had lately...how does God really transform us? It is purely His doing, yes, I know. In His grace, His mercy He delights Himself by opening our eyes to some new (to us) revelation of Himself thereby exposing sin in my life and causing me to become so aware, broken, repentant, and mourned by it, that I choose to change it (still by His doing). Even in so choosing, however, I still have little/no? power to do so. Maybe for five minutes, I guess, on a good day. But even at this point, having faced my sin and desired to turn from it, I still must rely on God and His power to begin to change me. How does this happen? How does God work in us like that? How does, say 30 minutes or an hour in His presence begin to change the very fiber of my being? How does that relatively small time change the way I handle the rest of my day - independent struggling toddler, sometimes oblivious husband, a dinner I hate to make and all? How do I spend not only that given time in submission to God and focused on Him, but all of it?
I began to consider this after a talk with a couple of jr. hi girls in which I intentionally left my Bible, easy, pat answers out. If God is working in us and I do love Him and want to serve Him, I'm spending time in His Word, why am I still being rude and mean to my mom when she asks me to do something simple. Then, I feel awful and I must apologize. And, yes, I know the feeling of apologizing and feeling guilty not for the sinfulness of it, but simply because it hurt someone I love. As I listened to them share, I realized I could completely relate. I was able to give them some assurances that God was indeed working in them but it just doesn't happen as quickly as we'd like. I could also tell them what they were doing right: spend time with God and truly seek and depend on Him. Finally, I told them what they may be missing: good 'ol confession and repentance. Tell the Father about your sin and mourn with Him over it and restore the relationship with Him as well. I believe that as we do that we begin to see more of His perspective on our sin instead of just the one we offended. But as far as the why do I still sin and why is that still happening...well, it's a mystery of our sinful selves fighting our new, righteous selves. The Bible speaks of this battle and being prepared for it. Heavenly armor, we have, and we must train ourselves to use it. Saul gave David his armor to fight Goliath but he had no idea how to use it. Much less did Saul know how to use the tools David used - the Lord and the skills He had given him. We must be in the tent preparing for battle every day with the Lord, putting on His armor, His perspective, then emerge ready to practice using the helmet, the shield, the sword, the fitted feet (ah, sweet gospel), the belt, the breastplate. (Do you hear Braveheart music swelling?) Then we see our day for what it is, a chance God gives us to be more holy living for Him and experiencing the victory that is already ours. What an awesome God we serve.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sister. This was totally encouraging to me today. Thanks for so willingly and honestly sharing your thoughts.

    I miss you
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.