Saturday, November 08, 2008

Last Full Day

On my last day, we took the public bus into DC, then rode the subway to the nearest stop to the National Cathedral. We'd seen great pictures and heard beautiful reviews from others, but it turned out to not only be a pretty long walk from the stop to the Cathedral, but it was, um, uphill. We didn't quite anticipate that. AND, I sent us in the wrong direction which added another 30 minutes or so to the jaunt. But, we did get to see this marvelous view from a bridge!

Oh, the pictures just don't do it justice! It was breathtaking.

But after a looooong uphill, cool walk we made it to the Cathedral. I thought it was worth it. I hope Holly has forgiven me for my enthusiasm to do this and would agree with me by now! ;-)




The main front altar of the Cathedral. It's Episcopalian - did you know that?


And this is the view from the top of one of the towers. On one side of this observation level, you could make reservations for tea. How fancy! In this picture, you can see the tall Washington Monument to the right, and the Capitol building to the left.


The Cathedral was designed in the gothic style. Here you can see the tell-tale buttresses and pointed windows and arches.

After that, as I mentioned in a previous post, I had somehow injured my right foot. Pulled a tendon, or something. At any rate, I had to rest it a lot after that. It was actually pretty painful but we continued on (after a taxi ride back to the tube stop!!) to the National Archives to see the Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights. There was, of course, much more I wanted to see but, again, we just didn't have time. This was one of the most moving sights for me. This written documentation of the very ideals of government fought and worked and so bravely constructed by great men. It is awe-inspiring! It was my favorite of all. Unfortunately yet understandably, they do not allow pictures, soooo....

After that, we had to get to our bus stop to head home. It was just across the street from the Library of Congress. I really wanted to go there, too. I had heard phenomenal things about it, too. But we knew missing that bus was not an option. So ended that day.

Dinner with Holly's teacher friends (and a hubby). They were delightful!

The next morning I caught a ride with the groom, his kids and the brides aunt and uncle back to the airport (saving me $60 for a taxi!) and they, too, discovered the awful truth...that I was a complete wedding crasher. Oh, well. I'm sure I could be accused of worse. I had a great time and can't wait to one day return with my sweet hubby and baby girl. It is quite an experience!

Thanks for indulging me and coming along on my tour!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree; it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.