Thursday, November 06, 2008

Naval Academy

Okay, so now we're at Monday morning and we were once again treated to breakfast. We all crowded in to the B&B for "Bagels and Bloody Marys". Not being the bloody mary type, I was happy with a Coke! Then we watched bride and groom open gifts (they're going on a honeymoon later). This took some measure of patience on my part because I was more than ready to get the sightseeing going. However, I'm just not the kind of wedding crasher that's all about me, you know!! So, I waited patiently....
After that affair, we didn't have time to do much so we decided to tour the Naval Academy. It was fantastic! We had a great tour guide and even though the chapel and crypt were closed, what we did see was so pretty and unique and we got some great stories!

This is Bancroft Hall, the residence building. There's only one, but it has 8 - count them - 8 wings. All 4,400 midshipmen (what they're all called, women, too) eat, sleep, study here. They also ALL file into the King's hall (the dining hall) to eat at the same time every day, sit and eat family style, are served by the plebes (first-years) and are finished and cleared out in 30 minutes. Crazy efficient!!

Inside the main entrance to the residence hall. No ordinary "dorm" is it? It has marble floors and engravings all around. It's really beautiful. Up those steps behind Phillipa's overexposed head is the memorial room and it is a stunner!
I'm afraid that's all the pictures I got, but if you are ever near there, you gotta go. It's very, very neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thanks.