Let me just begin by saying that I have an amazing husband. Really.
Just when I was starting to think that a year would go by with a hurriedly made reservation and babysitter at the last moment, my Honey scored big!
He wanted to surprise me, and would have succeeded, had the reservation agency not called to ask me to confirm the booking for a B&B in Fredericksburg! YES!!
Baby Girl was going to be picked up by grandparents and carted all over the place, while we took a mini-vacation! Before we left, I was allowed to open the gift I didn't even know he'd gotten me: a beautiful red wool scarf (wool is the gift for year seven, I'm told!). (Oh, and thanks, Cat, for helping out my man - you should think about this as a business - really!!!)
We arrived Friday night and this was waiting for me:
A half dozen roses (beautiful color!) and a basket of chocolate goodies,
wine glasses, and bathtime fun!
Saturday morning we had a wonderful breakfast with our friendly and helpful hosts and then set out for Main Street. Well, Friends, I was a little disappointed by the shocking lack of true antique stores. That used to be all you'd find there. Instead, we found several boutique-like places, upscale toy stores, interior design-ish stores, and little gift shops. In fact, there was only one to speak of, but it was amazing: Homestead. Ah, three floors to lose yourself in and did I ever! Last weekend happened to be the Fall Fredericksburg Antique Show but after lunch it was a choice between that or a visit to a winery. Well, the winery won because, really, I can do antiques anytime...a winery is something totally new for both of us.
So, we travelled just a mile or two down the road to the Becker Winery. It was so great!! We had no idea what we were doing but the people were friendly and extremely helpful. The buildings and grounds were exactly what you would picture and there was live music as well! We paid $5 to taste 7 of any of the 17 wines offered. They were wonderful!
The setting for our wine tasting!
Our chosen end of the table and our helpful, opinionated server! She was great!
Ah, the glow of wine! It was a beautiful, cool day - Perfect!
This winery also had fields of lavender! So we tromped over there, too! What a dream!
Unfortunately, we were not able to get a tour of the grounds...maybe next time! So we headed back to our little B&B for some more friendly "Trouble" tournament play and quality discussions about the last year. Then it was time to get ready for dinner. Reed had made reservations at a chic little restaurant called The Nest. Mmmmm....it was fabulous! And, of course, we couldn't resist some wine with our dinner even though we'd bought a bottle at the winery that was waiting for us back at our room! Here's the annual traditional anniversary picture:
Seven years, folks!
Well, our actual anniversary date was the 17th (Monday), and I couldn't just let it pass as an ordinary day, so I remembered that I happened to have a cake mix (does everyone just keep one on hand for cravings like me?) and, well, maybe we could eat in the dining room....and, oh, hey, maybe Evy and I could dress up a little? Luckily Reed came home a little later than normal (the only time you'll ever hear that come outta my mouth!) so I had everything set and Evy bathed and both of us dressed a little nicer than our usual end of day appearance! The dinner was really nothing special (tacos and ranch beans - though I did put together guacamole from co-op avocados for the first time ever!) but we just made it a little special. Evy loved helping me make the cake and it was her idea to put seven candles on it. Why not? And why not sing?Happy Anniversary to us!
Happy Anniversary to us!
Happy Anniversary to the Cutshalls...
Happy Anniversary to us!
Happy Anniversary to the Cutshalls...
Happy Anniversary to us!...and we all blew out the candles!
Afterwards we got into jammies and looked through our wedding album. Evy loved finding all of the people she knew!It was fun to have this impromptu celebration and share it with her. It was a neat evening. I highly recommend it!
Really...isn't he the best?! I can't wait for Year Eight!
What a great post. I love that you shared this with Mary Evyn. Great ideas!
ReplyDeleteBecker Vineyards has some of the best wine! I love that y'all have become (or are and I didn't realize it) such wine lovers!
ReplyDeleteah, how great. so thoughtful reed! do you know your wife, or what?! happy 7 years!
ReplyDeleteHey! I loved reading this (and seeing the pics, too)! I REALLY miss you guys! Can't wait 4 Christmas!!!
ReplyDelete