But here I go anyway.
Let's talk about yesterday for a minute. I'll admit to you first of all that I am an Obama cynic. It's not that I don't like him. I know that he will be an upright, honest, moral President. I will not be embarrased or ashamed of him ever, like I have been before (oh, about 9 years ago?). Anyway, I just have this nagging reservation that is in a "we'll see" mode. I will admit, too, that I was and still am a Bush supporter. I think he's a great man, still.
So, with that being established (and maybe you're already finished reading!), here were a few observations from yesterday that bugged me. It kept Reed and I up talking for quite a while last night. It kept me from really enjoying what I saw. Then, if you'll keep reading, I'll share some things I loved about it.
1. Comments like "remaking America" and "ready to lead once again". I felt like this was a slap in the face to the very man who had graciously welcomed him to his new home and sat only feet away. Whose service to our country is indisputable. But besides that, where does he think we've been the last few years? As I said, I'm a cynic about all of his "change". He can talk about it all he wants (as he has!) but how exactly is he going to change all of this? How does he intend to sit down and just have a little peace chat with terrorists or those who harbor them over a cup of tea? What does he intend to do that's so different that it's going to "remake America"? And apparently, he's so sure that he's going to do it better, that he can stand there and say that as if Bush is the whole embodiment of what's wrong with our nation. Don't get me wrong. I hope he does have a successful plan, I've just yet to hear or see anything specific. Perhaps I've made my point, so I'll move on.
2. The pervasive attitude that I just mentioned. Bush has become a sort of scapegoat for all that has gone wrong. Not that he was a perfect president. He undoubtedly made mistakes, but I feel he has had to weather some incredibly difficult decisions simply as a result of the times and because of other poor leaders who wouldn't make the difficult decisions. Yet, I do not see him whining and passing the buck. I was pleased to hear a little fight in his words when he arrived in Midland and spoke of writing a book to tell of what it was like to make those decisions and why he did what he did. I believe, like Bush and others, that history will show what kind of president he was and our attitude toward him then will change. Now that's a change I believe in! Let the Bush bashing end already.
3. This one is the most overarching. There seemed to be a sometimes spoken belief that Obama's victory means the black "struggle" is over and that they have somehow "made it". While Obama's inauguration is historically significant, I am no more "proud of our country" (another comment I heard a lot) than I ever have been. It seems to me that the true end and victory is when it no longer matters. When a black can be president and it makes no difference. I mean, if a catholic president were elected, who would think anything of it? Yet when JFK made it, it was a big deal. We've passed that, it seems. The progress of our country towards true equality for me is measured in those areas where it just doesn't matter. But as long as blacks are singled out, whether for good or bad, then it's still an issue. When our American history is everyone's history and not celebrated separately, then we'll be getting somewhere. When our businesses no longer have to account for the number of blacks, whites, women and so on that they employ, that will be something. So, when we can elect someone, anyone, and they're race, religion or sex makes no difference and is, in fact, not even an issue...then that's something worth celebrating. Except we probably won't celebrate because we won't even notice it. That will be a sweet day.
What I loved:
1. The peaceful transition of power. The outgoing and incoming presidents and their wives sitting down for morning coffee together only hours before it's official. Unheard of and unimaginable in many countries! We are so blessed!
2. That beautiful John Williams composition played by the best! Wow.
3. Rick Warren's prayer. I prayed right with him. I loved that he ended with the Lord's Prayer. It was great.
4. Michelle Obama's ball dress and the girls' adorable little coats and gloves! I am a girl after all.
5. Mr. Obama's cool, calm confidence. I love his presence. He's speeches never fail to instill hope (though I think his message of faith in the American people or "spirit" leaves something to be desired).
Well, I hope I haven't offended. That wasn't my intention. I'd love to hear what you thought and what struck you.
Well said! It was sad to hear on the radio this morning some said the best part of the tv coverage for them, was when the Bush plane lifted away from the White House. There should be a general respect for those governing us, no matter how unpopular they may have been. We enjoy many freedoms in the US, but just because we have the "right" to say whatever we want, doesn't always make it right to do so.
ReplyDeleteI gathered the historical significance from a different perspective. Teaching Texas History for 3 years to inner city (95% Hispanic, specifically), this issue came up a lot. As in, 'why do we have to learn about the greatness of white men'. It was hard to help them believe that they could be president one day and do anything they put their minds to. How to tell a minority group, you can do it, when it had never been done. Now it has! How many children will dream bigger, try harder, and strive further as a result. I cannot fathom. I'm believing an entire generation will now grow up knowing anything is possible. I'm excited for our children.
ReplyDeleteI think we had to clear this hurdle for your hope to come true, where whomever is elected is elected without reference to race, religion, etc. But we can't neglect to notice that even now in our time we still have struggles that hark back to the past. It's not just our parents who had to deal with racial issues, I think we have had to ourselves (I think of my Hispanic students too). Thankfully, I think we've turned a huge corner historically.
great post. I also respect what Bush has done and to treat him like he is trash getting ready to be picked up with tomorrow's garbage is pretty pathetic.
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize there were that many African American people in DC. I figured it would be the same as Houston.
I think Obama is a smart cat but he's gonna see that walking the walk is very different from talking the talk. I wonder how much he will age before our eyes.
If an Asian president was elected I doubt there would be as much press about race. The best person won. That's it. I find it funny that before the election it was all about who was better fit to lead regardless of race. Now all I see is how he is the first black president.
Oh, Asians are the true minority.
Hey Erin-
ReplyDeleteHere is a link you might find helpful: www.whitehouse.gov
This is a website that is daily updated by the Obama administration & it has great updates & insights into what he's up to. There are 2 very interesting executive orders he signed yesterday.
He spoke (and has spoken) a lot about how he wants a more "transparent" & less corrupt government and I think these executive orders set us on the way to that goal.
Yes, great post!
ReplyDeleteHere's where I'm at. I, too, hate the how people have treated Bush over the past two years. I cannot stand the complete disrespect. If you don't agree that's fine, but let's at least acknowledge that we don't know everything he knows, he made decisions off things that we CAN'T know and are probably better off not knowing. 99% of us, would have peed our pants if we had to deal with what he's had to face. (It's easy to criticize when all you have to think about all day is fighting with Elizabeth!) (That comment was for Joy, from the View. ;)
I hope time will be kinder to Bush. I hope time will prove that he made the best choices with the information and circumstances that were dealt to him.
As for the Incoming. I didn't vote for him. I don't agree with some of his politics, but I cannot help but like him, and feel excited to see what he can do. He's our President. We have at least 4 years together, and so I will respect him the way I wanted Bush to be respected. I will respect him because he has the weight of the world on his shoulders...literally.
I do fear a little bit, that people have such high, and I think unrealistic expectations for him, that maybe they're setting him up for failure. I mean, I heard that someone said, "It's like were listening to God."
What???!!! Did someone really say that?!!! Oh goodness.
Anyways, all this to say...I am hopeful. I am excited for the Black community and for our country as a whole. I love that he and Michelle are promoting service so strongly.
As for the Inauguration, I really enjoyed watching it. And for the record...I could listen to Diane, Charles, and George ALL DAY LONG. I love those guys!
Great post, Erin. I love the discussion.
great post, erin. exactly the same thoughts going through my mind. i am a little tired of everyone praising him, and he really, technically, hasn't done anything yet. and, why did it take him challenging everyone to help their world, for everyone to get up and volunteer? you should be doing it anyways. i can't wait until the obama fever calms down, and he settles in, and we will see in 4 years if he is still the greatest thing to walk this earth... (isn't that Jesus?) now with that said, i too am impressed with his presence, and value the significance of this history making moment, but lets move on from all the gushing! please!!! oh, and i loved the first lady's white dress, stunning! and i like the fact that she really likes j.crew. fun.
ReplyDeleteGood post Erin,
ReplyDeleteI didn;t see much of the coverage...I'm a little busy at home these days, but I also wasn't really wanting to watch either. I'm not a fan, but like you I will show some respect to the man that is our president. I understand that this event has great meaning to many people, and a meaning that I can not fully get since I'm white.
I think that one thing that bothered me was the phrase that we have elected someone not based on the color of their skin, but on the content of their character. And while that would be nice I don't really think thats very accurate. I think a lot of people voted for him strictly based on the color of his skin. And then a whole host more who disagreed with his stances on major issues (character content perhaps?) still voted for him because of what it would mean historically to have a black (1/2 actually) man elected.
anyway....Im over the Obama-mania, and hope that the press gets over it soon too. Lets just wait and see what he does, and if he totally screws it up, we get to vote again in 4 years.
Erin, I couldn't agree more. I feel like I'm in the minority camp in that I didn't vote for Obama, and I don't think President Bush was a complete failure. I think he was delt some very difficult challenges that he did not bring about. Along with that, he is a terrible public speaker, but it is an incorrect belief that the ability to communicate well is a direct measure of someone's intelect. I can't believe that he is as dumb as he sounds. With that being said, on Tuesday it was nice (for a change) to listen to our president and not cringe at the mistakes thinking "what does the rest of the world think when they hear this". I too was shocked at the way President Bush was treated - whether we agree or disagree he is our leader and deserves some respect. While I disagree with Obama on many issues, I wish him the best in the difficult task of leading our country and my prayers and support are with him. Great post!!
ReplyDeletewww.americanthinker.com is a blog that everyone should check daily. Three posts currently there that would be pertinant to read; Obama's Curious Inaugural Rhetoric, Markets and Marxists Don't Mix, and The Crisis has not bottomed out yet. Also, www.nationalreview.com and www.heritage.org are daily reads of mine, I've learned so much about how government should work, and how much we stand to lose of our current freedoms with the people who are now in power. From my perspective, we are in a unique situation we've never been in before, and if Obama chooses to go down the socialist path, nationalizing health care, continuing the government takeover of banks, and such, the America we've all known, that's existed for over 200 years will no longer exist. I heard one commentator state that we are now on course to become a socialist democracy.
ReplyDeletewww.readthestimulus.org, if you want to know how the Obama Administration and the Democratic-controlled House and Senate are going to spend your hard-earned tax dollars.
ReplyDelete