Monday, January 26, 2009

This Weekend

First of all, I just wanted to thank everyone for the great comments to my last post. Thank you for being positive, civil, and encouraging. I'm glad we can have open chats like that.

Just wanted to pop in and share a little about our weekend. On Friday, I often have a hard time not just sitting at home, watching the clock hoping against hope that Reed will get off early and trying to keep Evy and I from driving each other crazy! I decided this Friday, going out and giving us both something fun to do would help with that. It did! I took Evy to the park by Transco Tower (yeah, I know it's not called that anymore, but I'll never be able to call it anything else!). Well, it's about a quarter of the size as I remember it. The Galleria is taking over, along with some new lofts about to be built, but there is still a green, um, space, and the water wall is there (though it was not on due to maintenance). And, actually, it was such a great day that we were soon joined by other workers and some families. It was great!
Then I took her to the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center on Woodway inside 610. It was a perfect day and we took our time going on the short inner loop hike. We didn't see any wildlife or birds, really, but it was just neat to walk the trails and explore. We found a little deck overlooking a small pond and a little red-ear slider turtle came all the way across to say hello.

We stopped in a cleared area with log benches to do a little nature sketching. Evy did a butterfly, of course!

Near the main building there is a play area with a HUGE sand - well, box, I guess, though that seems like an understatement! There was also this very fun rope bridge between two trees. A good challenge!

Then, what do you do on a cold Saturday when you can't think of anything else to do? Why, clean the garage, of course! I don't have any before pictures but you might get an idea of what it looked like by this pile of trash:

The obligatory mattress. Doesn't everyone have an extra mattress? Wouldn't anyone just leave it at the curb hoping it will get picked up!?

Wait, there's more...

Speakers (two pair), terrariums (we gave one away), baby floatie, diaper genie past it's prime... To our credit, a lot of this stuff is from previous owners. It was shoved up into the exposed rafters of our garage. Ugh! I promise not to do that to the next owners of our little casita!

Now for the after:

What is THAT!?? Floor!!! A place for Evy's bikes and her scooter! (The table and chairs are going...anyone interested? I'm putting them on Craigslist!)

And look!! Yet more floor!!! And SPACE, real walking space between the door and the car! No tripping on wires and junk! YEA!!!

Also, you can actually see the top of the workbench which is amazing! I'm so excited!

Good job, Honey! Thanks for doing it with a smile!

4 comments:

  1. what a fun (and productive) weekend! your day out with maryevyn looks like you guys had lots of fun. oh, and great pictures by the way!

    and the garage floor looks fantastic! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I can definitely notice a HUGE difference in the ga-rage (a bit of British pronunciation for you)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We often run out of things to do by weeks end too! Thanks for some fresh ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel productive just looking at that clean garage and all the junk on the curb : )

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.