Monday, May 14, 2007

Pray for my dad

As I write this, my mom, my dad, my family weigh on my mind.
My dad had quadruple bypass surgery 12 years ago. Due to a recent angiogram, a very good cardiologist who also by God's grace, is a Christian, says one of my dad's arteries which already received a bypass, is partially blocked. It is blocked enough that it could cause his heart to stop. So, he tells them about open heart surgery, again. Only this time, because it is in a spot that already has a bypass, well, it's much more risky. Apparently it's also risky for him to not have the surgery. Mom says that the procedure could cause a clot (or whatever, I'm no doctor) which would also stop his heart.
Mom called me with this news this afternoon. She and I are quite similar in the way we handle news such as this, surprise, surprise. Perhaps my mom has comforted herself thinking that he is doing it to himself. Y'know, the man's already had a quad and changed little, if anything, about his diet and activity level. I get her point. But the dr. told her, her, the woman who's never been wrong, that it's just a degenerative disease (pardon the use of "just" to make my point) and there is/was really not much Dad could've done. It was going to happen sooner or later. He could have perhaps put it off a little, but it's going to get him. ...Man.
Apparently, the average after Dad's sort of surgery is 8-10 years. He's beyond that. And, the Dr. so wisely said, "God has our days numbered. Our day is coming and we have to trust that He will bring that about in His perfect timing and we have nothing to say about it." (It's a paraphrase from my Mom's paraphrase, but you get it.)
For whatever reason, she told me somewhat matter of factly and I received it likewise. Only later, and now, as I retell it to you, does the question hang on my heart: is my dad going to die? This Thursday at 6am he will put his heart in man's hands. We are more than grateful that it is a man who trusts God for wisdom and diligence. Now the news my mom gave me hits me with a lot of weight.
So, please pray for my dad and his heart. Pray for the doctor. Pray for my mom, my dad, my brother and me to not carry the weight of worry but of concern and love. That we will give this, my sweet, sensitive Dad, back to the One who made him whether He wants to take him home or not.
Thanks. and I'll let you know.

1 comment:

  1. Erin-

    I will pray for your family, for you, for your heart...

    My heart is hurting for you.

    Ash

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.