Monday, May 07, 2007

Sampson, the Dog

This is Sampson. At least, this is the way I will remember him. This weekend, during our Show the Love project at Sartartia weeding and planting flowers, we found ourselves in need of more water hoses. And I needed to go to the bathroom. Both needs would be solved by taking Brianna, one of our high schoolers, back to her house in the same neighborhood for her hoses and I could use the potty. Great idea...
I knew that she had and loved her dogs, though I had never met them before. One of them greeted her at the door as she entered and he was about the size of this dog, only browner, and, I'll admit, he looked a bit friendlier. I've never been a fan of larger dogs, though, and this one fell into that category. I wasn't afraid, but didn't exactly make any gestures of friendship (reaching out to pet it or anything). I kept my hands to myself while he sniffed me (in the usually awkward places!). Then, Bri headed upstairs to show me the restroom and I followed. Just before I took the first step, I did, in retrospect, observe the dog making some restless movements like he was not okay with this and as I was turning around, he bit me. Sampson bit me. On the butt, no less. I later told Reed that it was a rather large target and as I was taking that first step it was right at jaw level for him. It was really just a nip, for a dog like that I knew he could've done worse. But it did break the skin and, well, it ripped a hole in my undies! What's weird is that there's not a mark at all on my shorts. Anyway, I gave a little yip and jumped up, but Brianna had missed the whole thing. I didn't quite tell her how bad it was. When I went into the bathroom, though, I must admit I was holding back tears. I surveyed the damage to my derrier and did what I came to do. I washed my hands and then followed Bri back down the stairs, giving Sampson a wide berth.
Later, in the car after we'd loaded the hoses I did tell her that it was a bite and that it had ripped my undies. I'm sure she felt awful and didn't even really seem to know what to say. She was very surprised that he would do such a thing (as most dog owners would be) and pointed out some things she probably should have done to ease his restlessness with me. That was really the reason I told her what he did...so she would know that he was capable of that. I assured her that it was okay.
Not so okay was Reed insisting on putting hydrogen peroxide on it, which stung quite a bit. Poor me. My poor bum. It's actually still a little tender!
All said, I'm okay with Sampson, too. He was just trying to protect his family and wasn't approving of me yet enought to let me just wander upstairs with his girl. But we won't ever be good friends, that's for sure.
So, for all you dog owners out there who keep your dogs indoors, please, please, know that however sweet you think your adorable dog is, he is still a dog and dogs bite. Even yours. And know that even people like me who like dogs, think that there is a time and a place for them and would rather not have them all over me. Please don't assume others think your dog is as great as you do. I don't think so and I'd really prefer that you put him outside or in another room. Well, unless he's one of those older than dirt dogs that's had hip problems and moves as slow as molasses and needs help getting off the floor. (My friend had one of these by the way, and even that one I wish she would've put away because he kept expelling the most foul gas that would cause me to have to excuse myself for any number of thought up reasons!). Anyway, that's all. I love dogs, I really do, but I want to enjoy them when I want to, not when they want me to and not when I'm over at a friend's house to enjoy their company, not their dog's!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Reed told me about the "incident"- yikes! No more Snoopy for you- hahaha! I'm sorry that you got hurt-but it was right to put H2O2 on it-even if it did sting! Hope you'll not have nightmares. I miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your closing remarks! Except the part about loving dogs....

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.