Friday, May 18, 2007

"What's the big deal?"

You would have thought my dad was just going to the dentist the way he talked. He was fine all day. Flirting with the nurses, joking, telling stories, picking on my mom...just another day filled with new people to chat with (my dad's never met a stranger). He couldn't understand why we were making "such a big deal" about it. Why Kevin and I put a stop to everything to be there. Why mom couldn't sleep last night. Anyway, they arrived at St. Luke's at 6am to a full waiting room. Dad got all changed and signed and hooked up and then we were called in to be with him before surgery. Kevin and I arrived about 7 or so. We didn't think it would be too long. His surgeon, a very kind, nice man, came in and talked to them and explained what they'd be doing and said we were just waiting for them to finish up another surgery and that Dad was second in line. No problem, we thought.
But 31/2 hours later, we didn't know what the hold up was. Finally, about 11:30 they came and whisked him away and we went to a different waiting room. We were told it would take about 2 hours minimum. We also knew that if the first, more touchy stint went smoothly, they were going to do another one. So, we went to eat lunch and watched the 2 hour mark come and go. Mom started to worry. Kevin and I were pretty sure that it just meant that the first had gone well and they were doing the second. This turned out to be the case. The dr. finally came out and Mom went to see Dad. Kev and I happened to run into the Dr. first, so he told us what had happened, then went to see Mom and Dad. When Mom came out, I could tell she was about to lose it. She fell into my arms and cried. Tears of relief.
Kevin and I went to see him and he was still just fine. Worried about his lunch that he'd missed and bothered that they gave him a sedative when he was relaxed anyway. (roll of eyes). He had been totally awake through the whole surgery and was fine. Urging me to go home because my husband was home (early b/c of Dad's surgery, sweet man) and I should be with my family, he said.
Well, there's a lot more medical detail than that which is extremely fascinating to me, but takes a while to write and may be boring to you, but I'd be glad to tell if you ask!
Thank you all so very much for your prayers. Thank you for calling to ask about my family. Thank you for watching Evyn. Thank you for just being there.
And, of course, praise God for His miracles!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:09 AM

    Wow! Amen! A million praises to our providential & sovereign God. Please give a big bear hug to dad for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.