Billy and Cindy Foote. If you think you don't know them, think again. You know their songs: "You Are My King (Amazing Love)", "Sing to the King", "You Are God Alone", "I Have A River", "(Holy Spirit of God) You are Welcome" and probably a few more.
That alone is impressive if you're into that sort of thing. When I told people they were doing the worship (I had never heard of them), several eyebrows were raised and I heard, "Really? Wow." Now I know why.
Not only are they wonderful song writers, they are true to fulfill just what you think someone who could write lyrics like that should be. Most striking is their humility. I mean, they could probably be with some big label, touring and singing to the masses, but here they are doing youth camps (which, by the way, I think is a noble calling, but many see it simply as a step to higher things). He's been doing it for 16 years! Think he's seen some changes?! Anyway, they still are on an independent label and when you buy a CD from them, they're the ones behind the table. I found it a little difficult not to be star-struck! People everywhere know their songs! It's so cool.
What I also respected was their refusal to be a "show". He takes his job as worship leader very seriously, even for a bunch of middle and high school students, and doesn't lower the worship standard to a concert or funfest (another singing of "The Happy Song" I don't need). He was also a great match for Chase, the speaker, in that he, too, didn't water down the significance of being in the presence of God and ushered the students there in reverence and awe.
And, man, can that little Cindy Foote belt out a tune. Wow.
If you ever get a chance to experience them in person, take it. Oh, and buy a CD or download their newest one that you can hear on their home page - it's great!
I am so happy the Lord met you! We were praying His life would be found. I am sure this is a continued prayer.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, your blog looks GREAT! I love the new layout.
I look forward to our next "thing" so I can hear more about camp.
-J