Friday, July 13, 2007

Just Walk Across the Room

So, maybe you've noted that I'm reading Bill Hybels book Just Walk Across the Room. It is one of the many books that my pastor, Chuck Land, has recommended. It's very good and quite inspiring and encouraging. I started it on my own and am now going back through it a bit more thoroughly with Morgan. I'm looking forward to being able to discuss it with someone.
How quickly and easily my heart grows cold towards those outside of God's family. Morgan and I were talking about how we tend to play down God's wrath and forget about the reality of hell and eternal separation. How very close each and every one of us is to eternity and how very short our time here is. We forget how bad off our loved ones are without God, how hopeless it is. I'm not the most openly compassionate sort of person and I tend to often think that my non-Christian friends have simply decided that they're life is just fine and that they don't need God, so my haughty little self says, "Well, if that's the decision they've made, then they must be willing to live with the consequences." It doesn't occur to me sometimes that it is an uninformed, deceived "decision" that they have made.
As I've read this book, I have uncovered this erroneous thinking and am praying for God to soften my heart to those not following Him. To show me opportunities to be guided by His Spirit to open their minds and hearts to His love and adventure. To give me eyes to see those disengaged from God and others across the room, leave my "circle of comfort", and welcome them to my life and learn about theirs. I mean, that's where the adventure is, right? A new relationship, a new friend full of personality and stories and hurt that I, through God, have the secret of fulfilling. That's exciting!
Check out this book (only not at the library, because I've already done that!). It's not a "how-dare-you-ignore-God's-mission" type of book - it's very encouraging and gives lots of practical things to do to prepare our minds for the task. The harvest is ready.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erin!! Morgan gave me your blog!! I love it, you are inspiring to me... raising MaryEven, and raising the youth too!
    casey

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.