Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Taking the Plunge

For the past two weeks Evyn has been learning about water. I've been learning about how to encourage, comfort, and teach my independent, stubborn little girl! (Not to mention patience and a sense of humor!) Here's the deal - we started out like this: She has no problem with this small pool that comes up to her ankles. No challenge and she plunges in with not a hint of hesitation. She was playing with her cousin in his backyard and both of them did this for hours!

But today she did this:
Do you see the death grip she has on my neck? And that open mouth is producing a scream the whole block can hear. Deafening, really. I'm calmly whispering in her ear, telling her I'm not going to let her go, I'm not going to make her do anything she doesn't want to (mostly) and that there's no reason to be afraid. I am trying to make her smile and forget her fear...anything to stop the screaming! All it takes for this response to begin is to suggest something she doesn't want to do.

Her fear lies in the bigness of what she calls "the big pool". She is not comfortable. She has to hold on to me, or she'll go down. She is challenged and knows that I am going to ask her to do something she's not sure about doing. Although she loves me and knows that I will not ask her to do what I know she can't do...she still struggles to trust me when it comes to physically doing it.

But then she does something wonderfully easily, just like this:
Today all she really needed to do was sit on the edge (as Ally is dutifully demonstrating) and sort of fall in. But, no, my Evy, ever the surprise, is anxious to stand and just jump in. What? She won't hold her breath, won't willingly dunk her head, won't let go of my neck is all of sudden ready to jump into the "big pool" she is so afraid of...into my arms. Unbelievable!

At any rate, she now loves to blow bubbles (thanks to a stroke of genius involving the use of a straw) underwater, but protests loudly (i.e. screaming) for any other feat. She loves her teacher, Ms. Sandy, who is indeed wonderful. Loves the idea of the water. Loves the idea of being able to swim. But the scary steps along the way are proving very difficult.

What I can't help thinking is "How different am I?" Yes, Father, I see that the water where You are is refreshing and cool and clear, but, it looks pretty scary and I'd have to depend on You for my support the whole time. I'll just stay here in my little pool where I know just what to expect and, well, it's comfortable (for my feet, anyway) and it sure is convenient because it's on my terms.

The "big pool" could be a lot of different things. What is God calling you to that scares the pants off you - that makes you want to scream loud enough for the block to hear? Perhaps it's to trust Him in a new ministry, plugging in to a community group, joining a church, tithe ten percent (before taxes!), stepping out to meet someone new... the list goes on.

Just keep this picture of Evy in your mind and jump in. Your capable Father knows exactly what He's doing and what you're doing (and capable of doing), and how great it will be when you listen to Him. He's whispering calm, encouraging things in your ear and knows how joyful you'll be and how glorified He'll be when you do.

3 comments:

  1. too too cute!!! I remember those days of teaching swim lessons, all kids are diffent, one day, she will just get it!! Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did it! She did it! So proud of her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:42 PM

    What a great analogy! Never thought of it that way before. Will definitely remind me to be more nuturing in those circumstances to Ally as I know He is towards His children. By the way, I'm going to print this pic you have and tape it in the kitchen as my junk food deterrent. Too bad I didn't visit your blog before just inhaling a whole snickers bar.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks.