Though perhaps you care nothing at all, but then again maybe you might read about one that peaks your interest. But I should explain the type of movie that really stirs me first.
They tend to be dramas, but no particular genre other than that. I enjoy movies that don't just tell a story or look pretty or cool - I just like deep, rich characters and films that have a message - even if I don't agree with it, sometimes. I love films that don't spell everything out for me, don't answer all of my questions, leave me wondering and actually thinking about what it means. I don't mind if the guy does or doesn't get the girl or a depressing end, if it is an honest one - not one conjured up to make me cry and it seems sometimes the ending is the reason the story is told. No, I just want the true emotions, the real talk that I might say or do, not some brilliantly written and edited saga where...oh, look, it's raining right in the middle of this emotional moment, how apropos!
I love films with nobody actors. Or where the known actors are simply so good that I forget who they are in real life. They become the character and I no longer see Julia Roberts, but instead I see "Shelby".
Okay, I think you get it... By the way, I linked some of them to great scenes (though not spoilers)from You Tube.
Here they are in no particular order except that in which they were remembered!
1. "Cider House Rules" - Though I didn't agree with the theme of this movie and it had some disturbing moments. But as I said, I left thinking. It challenged some of my black and white ideas and made me see some things anew.
2. "Dead Poets Society" - When I saw this movie, I remember wishing I had been the only one in the room. Simply because it was intense for me. I got lost in the characters and was wishing that I could stay there and not be intruded upon by other movie goers. There was the scene that left me absolutely sobbing to the point where I was making that unattractive, involuntary noise of gasping for air because you've been trying to stifle your tears when all of a sudden the scene changed and there was no sound except for birds taking wing - and me crying. I was embarassed...a little bit.
Anyway, I was shocked by what happened, inspired by Robin Williams' character and his passion and drive to ignite these young men. Wonderful characters.
3. "Steel Magnolias" - These distinctly southern ladies just steal my heart! For someone who seems so fake, Dolly Parton's characters are always so real and believable. And Olympia Dukakis and Shirley MacLaine are brilliantly funny. But my favorite is Sally Field who fiercely loves her daughter throughout everything, even when she doesn't like or agree with her decisions. (I'm beginning to tear up just writing this!) It reminds me, of course, of my own mom very much and her group of friends who may as well be my mothers, too. (They began calling themselves Steel Bluebonnets, FYI.) Absolutely lovely ending.
4. "Marvin's Room" - Most people have never heard of this movie and that is an absolute shame! It does have big names in it, but they are not in their typical roles and I like to think they did this film for the beautiful characters and the simple story of the joy and fulfillment of real love. Leonardo DiCaprio, Meryl Streep, Diane Keaton...they are terrific, especially Keaton as she innocently demonstrates how to love those you love.
5. "Good Will Hunting" - Again, though Matt Damon is easy on the eyes, I forget that it's him and I just see this hurt, broken genius that needs help and doesn't know how to get it. I liked the developed characters that take you past just their involvement in the story and how you don't really know what happens between Damon and Driver in the end because it doesn't matter to the real story being told. Again, a good message and an honest movie.
Runners Up:
"Terms of Endearment" - I saw this when I was somewhat young and I surely didn't really get it, but it left a big impression on me. Shirley MacLaine is awesome in this one, too. She's a pretty underrated actress in my opinion, though I know she's a little crazy! This one'll make you cry, too, but well worth it. The soundtrack is my favorite music ever!
"Finding Forrester" - This one is just a little too tidy for me, but I did like the honest characters and their unlikely friendship.
"Once" - The real inspiration for this post. I watched this just recently with Reed and it may just move up to the top 5. Billed as a "modern musical", over half of it is music (really awesome music at that) played by an Irish bloke with a hole in his old, loved guitar and the Czech girl he meets who basically gets him moving again. Neither of which do you ever learn their names. Ummm...I did cry at this one, too, but out of sheer sweetness at the end. A great date movie - watch it for Valentine's Day with your sweetie! It was awesome!
P.S. Thought of three more: "Hotel Rwanda", "My Life as a House", and "Spanglish" (I love Adam Sandler's serious roles, and I'll be watching "Reign Over Me" next, thanks, Ashley!)
Erin I loved your movie blog!! I always think you can learn a lot about a person by the movies they like. I have seen most of your fav's and had similar experiences watching them, especially Dead Poets Society. I actually had a teacher very much like Robin Williams character. I haven't heard of Marvin's Room before, but it is going in my queue right now on Netflix! Thanks for sharing. And I think you will really appreciate Reign Over Me. Adam Sandler did an amazing job...you would never know it was the same guy that played in Happy Gilmore!
ReplyDeleteI too, love this post! You have some classic choices there! I didn't see Marvin's Room either, nor Cider House Rules because I believe the "disturbing moments" you mentioned, contain subjects that I really refuse to watch...but I understand that despite those sorts of scenes it can be a beautiful movie.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, if you don't mind, I may copy cat this post. I thought it would be fun to list my favorites here on the comment, but wanting to elaborate...it may be more fitting for a full post of my own.
Once is definitely one of my new favorites. I was captivated by the simplicity and realness of the story. The music was moving and I love listening to the soundtrack on our treks back and forth to Houston.
ReplyDeleteIn high school I played Annelle in an off off, way off broadway version of Steel Magnolias! :)
ReplyDelete'once' was a good movie. rob and i watched it over christmas break. and i love steel magnolias!
ReplyDelete