Monday, January 15, 2007

Bible story time

This is one of my favorite times of the day: Bible story time. It's one time of the day that I know I'm doing what I should be doing. I love it and so does Evy. After breakfast most mornings while we're still in our p.j.'s we go into MaryEvyn's room (the big girl room) and she pulls one of her little tea table chairs over to the wall. She knows this is not a time for toys or her nummy. She sits in her chair and I ask her what song she wants to sing. Lately the answer to this has been "This is the Day". So I review with her that we are singing for God and we want to sound pretty (this is so that she won't yell the lyrics and because I want to already instill in her that worship isn't to be taken lightly). Then we sing another song of her choosing. Lately other songs have been "This Little Light of Mine", "He's got the Whole World in His Hands", or "Jesus Loves Me". Then I get out her toddler Bible and we read a story. I just finished reading the few stories about Moses. She really liked the one with the princess pulling the basket out of the water. (She has begun an interest in princesses which I am not particularly fond of, nor do I encourage!) Today we read about Joshua and his army marching around the wall. She loves this story in her other "Blue Bible", as she calls it. It's actually The Goodnight Bible. I usually ask her a few questions about it and ask her to repeat the key names or words in the story. Then we'll say a verse a couple of times or one that she has memorized. Then we sing "My God is So Big!" (another current favorite). Finally we pray. Sometimes she just repeats what I say and sometimes I just pray for her myself. We always end our prayers with "I love you, God. Amen." It is such a precious time that I absolutely love. I love teaching her about a God that will never fail her - even when I do. I love giving her a great routine and I love that she loves the Bible. I pray that God will bless this time and that when she is old she will not depart from it.
Now if only my own intimate times with God could be nearly as consistent. If you're reading this, would you please pray that God would give me a passionate desire to spend the same quality time with Him as I give that to my daughter. I pray this for you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thanks.