I hate cold weather. Layers and layers of clothes...and I'm still cold. I always tell Reed that the only times I'm not cold in the winter are in my shower and in my bed when I just wake up in the morning. My hands and lips get so dry that my skin cracks and it hurts to smile. Itchy sweaters. Harder to get out of bed (than usual). Our house is far less than energy efficient and all of our windows and doors may as well not be there. One of the coldest places in the house is the couch (which is usually the most comfortable) because there is a huge wall of freezing windows right over it. So I keep a fleece blanket there as it is completely necessary. There's the increased static problem, too. I can never avoid it.
However, I do love hot chocolate and soft sweatshirts. I love curling up for a movie with a fire going. I love that I'm not sweating and that there are no mosquitoes and flies. I like winter holidays (more on that later). I also really like soup and oh, gingerbread which I suppose you could eat any time, but it's not nearly as enjoyable. But at least when you are cold, you can just add more layers. I love that I don't live where it gets extremely cold (our coldest is maybe a couple of days around 30 degrees) so we don't have to shovel snow and if we do get any kind of winter weather, everything in Houston stops because we don't know what to do.
I hate hot weather - especially the particular Houston humid variety of hot. It's miserable outside and you just don't want to move. It saps all of your energy and you just want to lie on a floatie in the middle of a pool somewhere (which I don't have ready access to). My hair is limp, cooking makes my kitchen feel like the bottom recesses of Dante's hell and all I want is salad to eat (I guess that should go in the plus column). Oh, and Reed has to mow every weekend which takes sooooo much time in our big yard and then we just watch the grass turn brown and die anyway. I hate taking a shower to clean off all the sweat and then you step out and immediately begin sweating. You get dressed for something nice, a baby shower, say, and then as soon as you step out you are immediately wrinkled and have flat hair and no makeup because it all just slid off your face with the sweat. UGH!
However, I love swimming and cooling off in a pool when I can - especially with MaryEvyn. I love that fruit is more abundant and cheaper and summer blockbuster movies come out. I adore ice cream - cookies n cream by Blue Bell by far the best. Our family usually makes at least two or three "pajama runs" for ice cream dessert after Evy's had her bath. Then, of course, the short sleeve shirts (or no sleeves even better). That's all I can think of.
I really hate the heat and sweating we endure here in South Texas, so I guess I'll just enjoy what I can about the colder cold here while I can. Hot chocolate and gingerbread with lemon sauce anyone?
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love your comments! Thanks.