Saturday, January 13, 2007

THE NUMMY

It's a pacifier.
But to MaryEvyn who is 2 (and a little more), it appears to be much more.
It's comfort, calming, soothing, fun, a friend. But I'm also tired of it. I'm tired of looking for it in the middle of the night. I'm tired of searching for it in her bag because she's tired or sad. I'm tired of seeing my bright, big girl with this baby nummy in her mouth. I'm tired of telling her it needs to be put away (in her bed) and often being ignored. Tired of worrying that she's going to try to climb on the shelves one day when I'm not with her and get it and be crushed in the process. (Have you noticed that a mother's worries - no matter how small - ultimately end in death?)
Sigh. But is it justified? I mean, is there a real medical, psychological, emotional, negative side effect of her having this nummy? She will, at some point eventually get rid of it, right? Perhaps the only reason I really want her to get rid of it is so that others (the key word) will see that she is the bright, big girl I know she is. So, do I want to get rid of it for her or me? Hmmm...
My answer to questions such as these is usually to take baby steps. So right now, I'm just trying to get her to leave it in her bed during the day, anytime she is not in her bed. This is getting a little easier. But now I'm ready for the next step: getting rid of it all together. She's such a bright, big, eloquent (I think) girl who doesn't need it. Yet, I can't bring myself to really get rid of it. How do I do it and still help her feel secure, comforted, soothed, and calm?
Well, can I end a blog with a question? Oh well, get used to it, cuz I don't have answers (well, at least not all of the time)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thanks.