I was asked to be a room mother. And it's official...I went to a "Room Mother's Meeting" and everything. I think I should have a badge. But it's got me thinking.When Evy's teacher first asked me I kinda laughed. "Really? Me?" I just never saw myself as the stay at home, cookie bakin', costume sewin', Bible study leadin', room mother kind of gal. Yet here I am. Doing all of those things!
Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to do it. I mean, now that I'm doing it, there isn't anything I don't like about it. Quite the contrary. I love bringing happiness and love to people just by baking cookies (half of which I consume). I love being able to stitch up pillows or a bag, fix a costume for a friend, or make a duvet cover for my daughter.
Here's the thing. When I look at my life now, it's just not what I thought it would be. And what's funnier is that I don't think I could tell you what I did think it would be. But I know that when I found myself in a meeting for room moms, I felt weird. Like, how did I get here?
I always wanted to teach. I really love teaching. I do. I probably will not be able to stay away from it for long once we feel God wants me to work again. I feel that teaching is my spiritual gift, as well, which is one reason why I love student ministry. So, when I thought about my "future" when I was a high schooler, I don't think I went much past teach elementary school and get married. From there, I don't think I ever thought what I would do or be.
It could be that it's rather foreign to me because growing up my mom always worked. The "stay-at-home" moms that I knew were rich and their kids came home and had milk and cookies while they watched one TV show, then they sat at the kitchen table and did they're homework while Mom made dinner. Those kinds of moms.
I just didn't think it would be me. That I would want that normalcy and ooey-gooey sweetness.
But, honestly, as I live this life that God's given me, there is not one thing I would change. It's just weird to be the "adult" Erin now. The "Mommy" Erin. "Wife" Erin wasn't so strange, but this new thirty somethin', suburban livin', Outlander drivin', boo-boo kissin', room mom is a new league. It's a good one and I've got great company here. And I see God's amazing miracles and grace every day.So where are you? Haven't the boundary lines fallen for you in pleasant places; surely we have a delightful inheritance! (Psalm 16:6)
I guess I pictured my life a little differently, maybe not quite so "Cleaver-esque." But, like you I wouldn't change a thing! Thankfully, I had wonderful, godly people to show me that it was a beautiful life to lead. A pleasant place...that's exactly how I would describe it! Hmmm:)
ReplyDeleteOh, and hey, if my kid was in your kid's class, I would definitely nominate you as the room mom!
Love ya!
I hear you, the almost 30 mom of THREE GIRLS, driving the SUV, Soccer mom, pastors wife thing is never where I thought I'd be. Not too far off, but its just a surreal thing to sit back and see yourself as a grownup, with a grownup life....wasn't I just 20 a few weeks ago?
ReplyDelete